Thursday 23 December 2010

Eclipse of the moon

Our visitor was really waiting forward to come to Svalbard and sleep loo-oong on her holiday. Good plan... but of course the astronomical happening of the year needed to be early in the morning. We had a total lunar eclipse and as it was at a shortest day (or, however, we don't have any day anyhow) of the year, you just couldn't sleep it over. And it was worth of it to follow it :)

We spend about two hours outside following the moon. It was around -18 Celsius and strong breeze. I had my Sorel Glacier and puffy down jacket on, but I was kind of totally frozen when we came inside - we were not moving much but mostly just standing in one place. Sorel Glacier is advertising that they are are comfortable to use up to -70 Celcius, but I would not be even dreaming to use them on those temperatures (we start on that fact, that I'm not dreaming about being outside on that temperature). I lost feeling on my toes just on that couple of hours time.

No comments:

Post a Comment