Thursday 13 January 2011

Wanted: Warm toes

Actually I shouldn't live in the High Arctic but in warmer areas. At least that is how it was if my toes and fingers could decide it. But they can't - and I'm constantly going around with fingers without feeling and toes which haven't given sign of life for long. No fun...

I think I have tried my best. When I don't need to walk much, I'm using Sorel Glacier -boots with 13 mm felt inner boots, otherwise some other old Sorel-boots with 9 mm liners. And socks: just ask about them! Of course I'm using wool, leaving still good place for my toes. And anyhow... I'm happy I'm haven't need to loose my toes because of frostbites.

I'm slowly getting tired with that constant struggling about keeping my toes warm. But I'm not giving up! Next action is to buy Mukluks, boots which are designed in the style of the Native North American. They are pretty popular here in Longyearbyen and people who are using them are mostly satisfied.  I'm hoping to get them (model Arctic) on the end of month. Now, while I'm waiting I try to tune my old good Sorels: I bought new inner soles made of reindeer. They feels really nice under foots! And I also bought with little bit scepticism socks made of wool from baby alpaca. They were advertised to be four times warmer than normal wool. And I have to admit that those socks are really warm! I think old good wool found a competitor :D

1 comment:

  1. Koitahan todellakin pitää varpaat lämpiminä siellä... Alpakka-langasta olen kutonut joitain pieniä juttuja ja se todellakin on kastävä ja lämmin kuitu. Kutomuksiani ja muita juttuja voi katsella blogista. :)

    ReplyDelete